"COMMONWEALTH HOME AND COMMUNITY CARE SERVICES – HOME MODIFICATION" PROGRAM
Home modifications repairs or improvements for elderly are subsidized and must be conducted by a licensed trades person and may include:
• Grab and shower rails
• Tap sets
• Hand rails
• Wheelchair ramps, access ramps and other mobility aids
• Installation of emergency alarms and other safety aids
• Minor renovations
The Aged Care Australia website offers elderly a home safety checklist to help with deciding what if any home improvements are necessary for elderly to safely remain living in their home.
Elderly Home Safety Checklist:
• Floors with a non-slip surface, especially in outdoor areas exposed to frost or rain
• No loose rugs and a simple furniture arrangement for extra accessibility
• Good lighting that's evenly distributed, without glaring directly and extra lights if visually impaired
• Appropriate grab-rails by the bath, shower and toilet
• Space to move a wheelchair out of the way
• Nightlights in the hallways
• Visual smoke detector if hearing is impaired
• Trays and shelves that are adjustable, with pull-out storage areas
• Taps that have levers if arthritic
• Suitable locks that unlock and open doors easily with one hand and deadlock from the inside
• Wheelchair ramps and access ramps on walkways where necessary
"Commonwealth Home and Community Care Services" aim to help older people stay at home and be more independent in the community and offer the following additional services to elderly: Nursing care, allied health services, podiatry, physiotherapy and speech pathology, domestic assistance, including help with cleaning, washing and shopping, personal care, bathing, dressing, grooming and eating, social support, home maintenance, assistance with food preparation in the home delivery of meals, transport, assessment, client care coordination and case management, counseling, information and advocacy services, center-based day care, support for carers including respite services.
More Home Improvement Agencies in Australia
Archicentre Limited Home Renovation Service Program - Australia. Home renovation program that provides free home safety inspections for elderly Victorian homeowners or those who have a disability. During an inspection the home renovation service identifies what repair work or home modifications need to be done to make the home a safe place to live as homeowners are aging.
New South Wales Home Modification and Maintenance Program - New South Wales, Australia. Home modification and maintenance services and home improvement agency that assists the aged or those with a disability to remain living at home and to live more independently in the community.