WISDOM TOOTH PROJECT
“…did you know that traditional Medicare does not cover routine services such as screenings, exams, cleanings, fillings, extractions or dentures? For Medicaid, the dental coverage for adults varies by state — many states will only cover emergency dental services, and 4 provide no dental coverage whatsoever.”
The Wisdom Tooth Project lists affordable dental care and in some cases no cost for seniors based on where they live at the following locations:
- Dental schools.
- Health departments.
- Federally qualified health centers.
- Dental hygiene programs.
- Dental clinics.
The aim is to provide affordable or no cost oral health care to those who do not qualify with Medicaid or find that supplemental or private care is too expensive.
The project also educates older adults on preventative oral health care, paying for dental care, dentures and appliances and oral disease. Resources are available on the following topics:
- A guide to visiting the dentist for older adults.
- Caregivers guide to helping seniors with oral health.
- What dental health benefits Medicare and Medicaid cover.
- Dental care options for low-income seniors.
- Dentures and braces.
- Dry mouth, TMJ, gum disease, oral cancer warning signs.
- The connection between oral health and other diseases such as diabetes, heart disease and ulcers.
Oral Health America advocates for policies that improve oral health for all Americans, especially those most vulnerable.
source: toothwisdom.org, oralhealthamerica.org
Senior Medical Health Programs
WATCH VIDEO ON WISDOM TOOTH PROJECT