FORENSIC SPECIAL INITIATIVES UNIT
Division of Aging Services (DAS)
State of Georgia.
The Forensic Special Initiatives Unit aims to protect older adults and prevent elder abuse through providing technical assistance, case consultations, and At-Risk Crime Tactics certification.
The Forensic Special Initiatives Unit provides elder abuse training for the following:
- Law enforcement.
- Employees of financial institutions.
- Service agencies.
- Healthcare providers.
- Coroners Medical examiners .
- Other professionals.
Elder abuse training includes:
- GA Law Types and indicators of abuse, neglect, and exploitation.
- Financial crimes targeting older adults and adults with disabilities.
- Undue influence, Power of Attorney, guardianship, conservatorship.
- Suspicious deaths.
- Human trafficking.
- Crimes in facilities.
The Georgia Abuse Neglect Exploitation (GANE) App is used to help those in law enforcement, adult protective services or those involved in healthcare facilities regulation. The app provides information on
- Georgia Law – specific to vulnerable older adults and those with disabilities and associated crimes with penalties.
- Reporting Agencies – a list of social service and regulatory agencies to report suspected abuse, neglect, and exploitation of a vulnerable adult.
- Financial Capacity Screening Tool – evaluation of the financial capacity of a vulnerable adult.
- Temporary Emergency Respite Funds - to assist in the emergency placement of abused, neglected and exploited at-risk adults whose caregivers have been removed because of illness, arrest, or other reasons.
Elder Abuse Prevention Programs
Elder Abuse Prevention Training Programs