OLDER DRIVER SAFETY ASSESSMENT FOR HEALTHCARE PROFESSIONALS
“With older adults accounting for 18 percent of annual traffic fatalities, the Clinician’s Guide to Assessing and Counseling Older Drivers translates research findings and public health initiatives into practical, person-centered advice for helping older drivers safely navigate the open road.”
“…older adult drivers and their caregivers may express concerns about driving safety. If so, the cause of concern should be investigated, specifically if there have been recent motor vehicle crashes, near-crashes, traffic tickets, instances of becoming lost, trouble making sudden lane changes, trouble with left hand turns, drifting into other lanes, braking or accelerating suddenly without reason, failing to use the turn signal, keeping the signal on without changing lanes, or if there is poor night vision, forgetfulness, or confusion.”
The Older Driver Safety Assessment program provides a driver safety assessment along with counselling and transportation planning for older adults who decide to hang up their keys and retire from driving.
The Older Driver Safety Assessment Program can be used by health care professionals such as physicians, nurses, pharmacists, social workers, psychologists and others.
The older driver assessment includes:
- Screening and Observation – medical conditions such as dementia, arthritis pain, depression and anxiety, cataracts, glaucoma, and general driving concerns.
- Risk Factors -driving history, vision problems, cognitive issues, motor and sensory issues.
- Analysis – Intervention such as occupational therapy, driver rehabilitation or driver safety class required.
- Results – Driver safety issues prevent older adult from driving and alternate means of transportation are explored or older driver is fit to drive with supports such as car adaptation etc.
Suggestions for alternative forms of transportation for an older adult may include:
- Walking, Train, Subway or Bus.
- Taxi Uber or Lyft.
- Family and Friends.
- Delivery Services.
- Community transportation Services.
- Hospital Shuttles.
- Volunteer Drivers from faith based organizations such as churches, synagogues and temples.
Elderly Driver and Senior Transportation
WATCH VIDEO ON AMERICAN GERIATRICS SOCIETY