COCKTAILS IN CARE HOMES
Care homes in Tower Hamlets, Islington, Southwark and Waltham Forest.
"Cocktails in Care Homes grew from conversations we had with residents in local homes. We identified a real need for evening adult activity, as most events and activities take place during the day."
"The residents enjoy having something to get dressed up for. Many get their hair done, nails painted and suits and bow ties on for the occasion."
Volunteers are often in their 20’s and 30’s and working in the corporate sector. Volunteers work to have party themes such as: Old School Hollywood Glamour, Bringing the Garden Inside and Costa del Cocktail Beach Party, Winter Wonderland, and Easter Extravaganza. Live music is often arranged and can range from gospel, to gypsy jazz, reggae, classical and folk.
Benefits of Cocktails in Care Homes include the following:
· For some senior residents the cocktail party is the only opportunity to see outside visitors.
· Senior residents enjoy having something to get dressed up for getting hair done, nails painted.
· More introverted senior residents or those with dementia may find an increased opportunity for communicating.
· Carers and Staff get to know the residents on a personal level.
· Families are able to visit relatives in a fun and relaxed setting.
Cocktails in Care Homes has been included on the 2014 New Radicals list, compiled by Nesta, the UK’s innovation foundation. The program relies on corporate partners for volunteers and funding.
WATCH VIDEO ON COCKTAILS IN CARE HOMES