SAN DIEGO HOSPICE AND THE INSTITUTE FOR PALLIATIVE MEDICINE INTERNATIONAL PROGRAMS
"There is an urgent need for palliative care globally. While approximately 1 billion people have access to most of the World Health Organization's Essential Medicines, including opioids and at least some palliative care services (primarily in Australia/New Zealand, Europe and North America), more than 5.5 billion people do not."
The San Diego Hospice and The Institute for Palliative Medicine aims to discover, demonstrate and disseminate successful strategies to advance palliative care globally.
The San Diego Hospice and The Institute for Palliative Medicine is engaged in education, research and advocacy.
The institute's International palliative care programs include:
- In-Country Professional Education - Including sensitization presentations, classroom and bedside training courses
- International Visitor Programs - Educational experience for at San Diego Hospice for International doctors, nurses, pharmacists, social workers, spiritual and bereavement counselors in basic and advanced palliative care.
- International Visiting Scholars Program and International Palliative Medicine Fellowship Program Specialist training - for doctors who want to be palliative medicine experts and focus their career on palliative care.
- International Leadership Development Initiative - Leadership training for palliative care physicians who have an opportunity to advance palliative care in their setting.
- International Scholars-in-Residence Program - Programs for educators and researchers who want to spend an extended time at engaged in skill building and academic pursuits.
- Advocacy for Worldwide Palliative Care - Collaboration with governments, organizations and international foundations to promote pain management and palliative care as a fundamental human right and essential healthcare service.
- Technical Assistance - With Palliative Care Program Implementation.
- Evaluation and Research - Identify policy, education, program implementation and quality improvement.
- Knowledge and Information Dissemination - Strategies to 'bring our international experiences home' and share them with colleagues locally, throughout the USA, and internationally.
The San Diego Hospice and The Institute for Palliative Medicine also provides palliative care education in the areas of Integrative Medicine, Palliative Care Psychiatry Programs, and The Center for Grief Care and Education.
General End of Life Care Programs
Palliative Care & Hospice Care Training Programs