"DYING WITH DIGNITY"
"Improving individuals' quality of dying and expanding Canadians' end-of-life choices."
‘Dying With Dignity’ provides:
- End of life information, options and stresses the importance of advance care planning.
- End of life rights and advocacy.
- End of life care support.
- Information about the choice in dying movement, and the reasons why appropriately regulated medically assisted dying should be legalized in Canada.
‘Dying With Dignity’ provides programs in the following areas:
Expanding End-of-Life Choice:
- Presentations about Expanding End-of-Life Choices -providing education about the reasons why end of life choice should be legalized in Canada.
- Educating Government Officials - to educate elected officials about the risks and benefits of medically assisted dying.
- Undertaking Allowed Political Activity- spend resources on allowed political activities.
- Providing Resources and Support for Court Challenges.
General End of Life Programs:
- Media Relations -press releases and responses to ongoing end of life issues.
- Speaker and Ambassador Training Sessions - intensive training sessions twice a year.
- Book and Video Library - information and resources on end-of-life choice and assisted dying in Canada.
- Website, Blog and Social Media - information on advance care planning, patient rights and the reasons why Canada needs to expand end-of-life choices.
- Newsletter -A quarterly publication. Presentations about Advance Care Planning and Patient Rights.
- Education about patient rights and the importance of advance care planning.
Improving the Quality of Dying:
- Presentations about Advance Care Planning & Patient Rights and Distribution of Advance Care Planning Kits.
- Client Support Program - one-on-one counseling to provide objective information about advance care planning, end-of-life options and patient rights.
- Bedside Support –when a client has made the decision to end their life, if requested, Dying With Dignity can be present to provide information and emotional support to the individual and their family.
- Patient Advocacy.
The following organizations engage in work similar to ‘Dying With Dignity’ in regards to the right to die in Canada:
· BC Civil Liberties Association
· Dying With Dignity Canada
· Farewell Foundation for the Right to Die
· Right to Die Society of Canada
End of Life Care Programs
WATCH VIDEO ON "DYING WITH DIGNITY"