GRANDPARENTS AS PARENTS SUPPORT PROGRAM
Los Angeles, CA, USA.
"Our dedicated team at Grandparents as Parents are passionate advocates who believe every time we positively impact one child or one caregiver, we are one step closer to changing our community. When caregivers are overwhelmed, when they find doors slamming in their faces, we step in and advocate on their behalf."
Grandparents caring for a grandchild and other family members caring for the child of a relative often step into the role without support and access to information regarding their rights to parent. There can also be a lack of information with respect to support services for themselves as caregivers and the children they are caring for.
Grandparents As Parents provides grandparents caring for grandchildren with the following support services:
- Weekly therapeutic support groups.
- Crisis counseling, emotional guidance and anger management.
- Workshops and educational programs.
- Advocacy on behalf of caregiver families with schools, doctors, lawyers and the court, among other agencies .
- Community outreach and education .
- Respite care for grandparents or relatives caregiving for children.
- Education of government officials and institutions .
- Advocacy for the rights and concerns of caregiver-headed families .
- Emergency resource referrals for food, clothing & shelter.
The Grandparents As Parents Support Program is administered by staff, experienced caregivers, and volunteers.