NATIONAL LGBT HOUSING INITIATIVE
New York, NY, USA.
“SAGE announced plans for a national strategy to address lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) elder housing needs. The event included SAGE leadership along with several major partners and detailed a plan to maximize housing opportunities, improve policy and cultural competency and strengthen anti-discrimination protection for older LGBT people.”
“By utilizing innovative approaches to couple LGBTaffirming housing with culturally competent services, communities such as those in Los Angeles, Sacramento, San Diego, and San Francisco, California; Minneapolis, Minnesota; Chicago, Illinois; Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; and New York, New York, are paving a new aging path for LGBT older people.”
The National LGBT Housing Initiative provides training for property managers, housing developers, landlords and retirement community operators on how to be LGBT culturally competent and provide LGBT senior friendly housing and retirement communities.
The initiative aims to increase awareness of housing discrimination and eliminate stereotypes and assumptions about LGBT older adults that can result in them being excluded or receiving unequal treatment.
The National LGBT Housing Initiative seeks to:
- Engage consumers, providers, and policymakers to increase access to and create welcoming housing environments for LGBT older people.
- Building LGBT-affirming older adult housing in select cities and providing
resources to communities to replicate best practices.
- Training mainstream elder housing providers in fair and welcoming treatment of LGBT older people through cultural competency training.
- Changing public policy to end housing discrimination against LGBT older people and expand federal support to LGBT-affirming elder housing.
- Equipping LGBT older people with the resources they need to find and advocate for LGBT affirming housing.
- Expanding services such as Aging in Place, Care Coordination, Naturally Occurring
Retirement Communities, Co-housing that support LGBT older people facing
SAGE (Advocacy & Services for LGBT Elders) has published two helpful guides to advocate for fair and equitable LGBT housing:
-Understanding the Affordable Housing Development Process: LGBT Aging Providers
-SAGE’s Housing Development Toolkit: Strategies for Housing Developers and Nonprofits/CBOs in Developing LGBT-Affirming Affordable Elder Housing.
The mission of SAGE - Advocacy & Services for LGBT Elders is to serve LGBT seniors and to advocate on their behalf in many areas including: Caregiving, Cultural Competency, Discrimination, Health Care, HIV/AIDS, Housing, Legal & Financial, LGBT Aging, SAGE Documents, and Social Isolation.
WATCH VIDEO ON NATIONAL LGBT HOUSING INITIATIVE