PURPOSEFUL AGING LOS ANGELES
“To make the Los Angeles region the most age friendly in the world.”
“As this demographic shift changes the face of our community forever, leaders in and around Los Angeles have a chance to set a new standard of ‘age-friendliness’ for regions with aging populations across the globe.”
“The University of Southern California enthusiastically supports the Purposeful Aging Los Angeles initiative. We are excited about the potential of this collaborative effort to address one of the most important opportunities and challenges of our time—the aging of our population… As the home of the world’s oldest and largest school of gerontology, USC is an internationally recognized pioneer in the study of aging.”
–USC Letter to City of Los Angeles.
Mayors across America were asked to sign a pledge to improve housing, transportation, health and other factors so that seniors can get back to their cities.
The City of Los Angeles Departments will be planning programs and services to better serve older adults to ensure that they will be able to live in a safer more age-friendly city.
The age-friendly initiative will look to study policies and programs and infrastructure in the following key areas:
- Outdoor Spaces and Buildings – safer sidewalks for older adults, access to open spaces.
- Emergency Preparedness and Resilience – ensuring that older adults are prepared know how to deal with an emergency or natural disaster.
- Housing – affordable, age-friendly housing.
- Social Participation, Inclusion and Respect
- Civic Participation and Employment
- Communication and Information
- Community Support and Health Services
The initiative will comprise of a planning process, action plan and advisory board.
The initiative seeks to tap the valuable potential of older adults through their contribution in the areas of employment, entrepreneurship, investment and advisement. The program hopes to provide
age-friendly homes and communities which will allow them to do so.
Senior Housing & Assisted Living
Senior Friendly Community Programs
WATCH VIDEO ON PURPOSEFUL AGING LOS ANGELES