IDENTIFYING AND RESPONDING TO ELDER ABUSE POLICE OFFICER TRAINING
Elder Justice Initiative.
U.S. Department of Justice. International.
“While elder abuse is generally underreported, research has shown that at least 10 percent of older people will likely experience some form of abuse, and as populations age, there will likely be a corresponding increase in the number of people experiencing abuse later in life. This means that police officers in large cities, small towns, tribal lands, and rural communities will all play an integral role in protecting some of our most vulnerable populations.”
-Joseph Marcus, Project Manager, International Association of Chiefs of Police. -theiacp.org/elder-abuse
With the increasing aging population law enforcement realizes the need for elder abuse prevention training along with new tools and strategies to fight other crimes against older adults.
Elder abuse prevention videos include training for law enforcement on how to identify signs of elder abuse and recognize evidence that can lead to the successful prosecution of criminals.
Training topics include:
- False Imprisonment
- Financial Exploitation by a Family Member
- Financial Abuse by a Stranger
- Physical Abuse
Training also includes the Senior Abuse Financial Tracking and Accounting Tool which may help identify patterns of financial abuse.
The International Association of Chiefs of Police has stated that it will:
- Take a leadership role of increasing awareness in the global law enforcement community to the needs of older adults.
- Encourage and promote a disciplinary approach to address the criminal victimization of the elderly.
- Encourage the training and development of investigators specializing in investigating abuse and exploitation of the elderly.
Elder Abuse Prevention Programs
Elder Abuse Prevention Training Programs
WATCH POLICE TRAINING VIDEO ON FINANACIAL ABUSE